Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Crazy week recap.

So the after I got to Tasmania I went to the Silverdome, the indoor track to spin my legs a bit. The air seemed a little dry, like it generally is in tassie, and a bit dusty, like an indoor track. So naturally I was experiencing a bit of 'track hack.' Unfortunately as I continued my workouts my coughing continued to get worse and worse. Towards the end of the big racing week my throat and body was wrecked from my seemingly endless coughing fits. Rest and eating well are definitely important for getting better but one thing that never helps is stress.

On the first night of the Devonport carnival someone decided to steal my road bike. The scratch race was the last event of the night and a lot of the spectators were leaving after the final running race. Most of the cyclists were either packed up and watching the race or racing and someone saw the opportunity to grab my bike. I didn't know it was gone until about 22 laps later. I guess now I know what travel insurance is for, not that I had any.

The next day, after getting no sleep thinking about my missing baby, I was borrowing a mtn bike to ride down to the track for day 2 of Devonport. A block from the house I was trying to figure out how to shift this modern beast and my lapse of attention caused me to crash and bang the crap out of my knee and shoulder. I then found the secret brake lever shifting mechanism. Fancy. I managed to have some ok rides that day apart from feeling terrible and my knee swelling up and hurting to pedal but all of them out of the money.

The day off between Devonport and Burnie there was a crit that I couldn't do now but I couldn't even get outta bed I was feeling so sick. I didn't even manage to go out for a NYE drink.

The next day was the Burnie carnival. Where the track has a up hill and down hill stretch. Also a killer headwind on the up hill and tailwind on the down hill. This made choosing a gear quite interesting. I took it easy most of the day just putting in some efforts and staying loose and warm. I figured I only had so much racing left me so I saved it for the evening wheel race. I made it to the final but didn't quite have the kick in the final 100m when I got put on the outside in the wind by some crafty team tactics. In the scratch race I found myself off the front with one and eventually two others right off the gun. 2/3 of the way thru my knee gave me more grief so I pulled the plug. The break got caught with about 200m to go.
During the carnival at Burnie a bunch of the junior riders took up a collection for me for my bike. They managed to raise over $2000 which will definitely help me on my way to getting a new bike.

I was hoping my week of down time in January would be spent going on killer road rides, to beautiful beaches, out to raunchy dance clubs and generally leaving my mark on Tasmania but instead I have been staying in bed and watching 'I dream of Jeanie' and 'Bewitched' hoping I magically get better.

1 comment:

  1. if you manage to get your bike back, you can always donate that money back to a certain jr racer's beer fund ;)